Yeah...examples on every Weckl CD period!
I am really digging David Garibaldi, it's exciting to listen to him. As I mentioned in the New Tower thread, I just got Oakland Zone. I am just in AWE of David's inner sense of time, not only Time but a feel so good Time. I also got to listen to some tracks from his method "The Funky Beat"... [img]eek.gif[/img] once again folks...
It strikes me to listen and compare each and every Great's approach to keeping time. In fact, it's more than keeping it. They're playing with it, swinging it, stretching it, pulling and pushing it, adding colors to it, etc... Taking you on a ride...
As I was listening the a Garibaldi CLIP HERE on www.drummerworld.com , the solo portion of it made me think of an elastic-band being stretched. Pay attention to the 00:27-00:45 seconds portion of the Clip to see what I mean. To keep its flow steady, while speeding up vs. slowing it down the way David does it in the Clip is something else to master. Ahhh plus those ghost notes!!! Makes all the difference in the world!!! [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]
Anyone else have any other Time Keeping example(s) to share?
[img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Yeah...examples on every Weckl CD period!
vinnie's decent at that kinda stuff.
Can anyone tell me what the Steve Gadd parradiddle thing that is at the beginning of the clip is????? [img]confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Decent... That's an understatement bro... He's one of the best at it. Remember City Nights from Holdsworth's Secrets, his time feel on that track is amazing. Or take Against the Clock from Holdsworth's Wardencliffe Tower. That's one of the reasons I love Vinnie's playing so much. It's not about being merely on Time anymore, but playing with it. He seems to be so Time Confident that he does whatever he wants with it... Totally immersed. That's ART at its very best, taking the Art of drumming to a level reached by only a few.vinnie's decent at that kinda stuff.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 23, 2004 11:38 PM: Message edited by: beat Hit ]</font>
If you want to hear someone messing with the time, listen to GAVIN HARRISON - drummer of Porcupine Tree. He has a brilliant DVD and book out called Rythmic Illusions.
Marco Minnemann is really good with this too.
Oh yeah, and STEVE SMITH is a master of this.
[img]wink.gif[/img] Must admit it did surprise me to read that coming from you shedder. I should have read between the line.
Tommy Lee is not decent at this stuff. [img]wink.gif[/img]
i should have put a wink graemlin next to my post. i was being sarcastic.
This solo shows Garibaldi doing a variety of things. In a 4-bar excerpt which I've transcribed, he isn't really stretching the time - as in playing ametrically (bending/distorting the actual note values). Instead he's playing different groupings which gives the illusion of him changing the speed of the notes - when he's really just manipulating the spacing/distance of the accents. The bit I've written out is a great exercise to develop the illusion of stretching time.
If you'd like a copy of it, email me at [email protected].
Brad
Bookmarks